10 Great Things About a Small University

Posted on 7:51 AM by SarahMichelle | 1 comments

NOTE: I originally wrote this piece on March 15, 2009.

When I was looking at where I wanted to go to college, I at first thought a large university sounded wonderful. I had heard that you could just become lost - be known by just a number, and for some odd reason, that sounded pretty great. I wanted to be able to go through with as little responsibility as possible. What I was thinking, I don't know.
I ended up going to the satellite campus of a top university in Indiana. It has about 2000 students so it is fairly small. I ended up falling in love with the intimacy of the campus and the people on it. Even when I was still considering moving away and going somewhere else, I was pretty set on a small college. Nothing much bigger than where I already was. All of a sudden, size was very important to me. In the end, however, I am so glad that I went to a small university.

1. The teacher/student relationship actually exists. Where I go to school, I know my professors. I have never been in a class taught by a T.A. My professors are there and concerned about actually teaching class. Many of them still have to complete research, but it doesn't completely rule their life at school. Some of the greatest people I have met there have been professors. They have time to talk to you. You know exactly where their office is. You may even be able to just sit around and have lunch with them. Many of my professors choose to be involved in my life in more than just an academic way and that has made a huge difference.

2. Class size really does make a difference. Looking back, I cannot imagine being in a class of 200 students where the teacher had no idea who I was. At a smaller school, the classes are smaller. I don't think I've ever been in a class larger than 30 (even general education classes) and as I moved up into my higher level courses, a small core group of us have been able to work one-on-one with our teachers and use them as resources.

3. It can be so much cheaper. I don't know how much difference there actually has been in the rates of my tuition because I still go to a state school, but for me, I have been able to save so much money on travel and living expenses. My school has no dorms but those are expensive anyway. Scholarships have also been easier to get. I have earned the ones I have received, but I have just been in a smaller pool of people going for some of the local ones.

4. Campus life is very alive. One concern I had and that I know many other students have had about attending a small university is whether or not I would be able to get involved. I didn't really need to worry about it. If a student wants to be involved, there is no shortage of opportunities. In fact, those opportunities may even be greater because of the openness and small intimate setting of whatever is being done. I really believe that no matter where a person goes, if he or she wants to be involved a way will be found.

5. There is a greater availability of campus jobs. Everybody wants to work on campus because of the convenience. At a bigger school, the pool of applicants would be much bigger than it will be at a smaller school. I was able to get a job on campus for which I was highly qualified, but because of sheer numbers, may never have been looked at for at a bigger school.

6. The quality of education does not have to be less. I do not feel like I've been denied anything in my education because of going to a small school. The diploma I will receive in May will actually come with no mention of the fact that I attended a satellite university. It will be of the same quality and worth as if I had gone to the "mother" school. In fact, I think I may have been held more responsible for my learning because of the relationships and intimacy of the students and faculty.

7. They are usually begging you to travel with the university instead of turning people away. Our school has had the great fortune of taking, since I've been there, four major trips with various classes. Once to Hawaii, once to Ireland, and twice to Italy. The opportunity to go is open to anyone on campus, and they are usually looking for people to go with them. The flood of people wanting in isn't so great that they must turn people away. I was able to travel to Hawaii with a class of about 10 people and a couple of "adults." It was a great experience.

8. There are still opportunities to take advantage of the big school resources. The school I attend is under the umbrella of a Big Ten school that has eight or nine campuses total. I have found that there are still ways to take advantage of the bigger campus resources. For instance, I will be traveling to the main campus to borrow several costumes for a show we are putting on here. They have a large drama department. We have nothing. They are willing to share most generously with us, however. In addition, if I decided to study abroad, I would be able to take part in the programs offered through the larger campus. These are just a couple of examples.

9. You get to know the cafeteria ladies. Although I wish we had a bigger cafeteria on campus, I have to say that we have some great ladies that work in the one they have. They sure take care of us. Knowing and having a rapport with the one making your food can sure come in handy:)

10. Having to walk across campus is not as bad as it sounds. I called a cousin of mine who attends a larger campus and talked to her as she raced across campus from one class to another. She said she is always late to her next class because of how far apart everything is. I don’t really have that problem because there are 4 buildings on my campus. They are close together and easy to navigate. This is a real blessing on both our cold, snowy days and the blistering hot ones.

Everybody has to make a decision about what sort of college will fit them best. I wouldn't want to think though that a school would be dismissed primarily because of its smallness as I almost did. Keep an open mind and realize that there are great things about it, too! In fact, you may end up never wanting to leave - like me:)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your college experience (at a small school) is the exact opposite of my college experience (at a large school). You're exactly right! I didn't meet most of my professors. The classes were too large for that. At least 1/2 of my classes were taught by T.A.'s. I definitely got lost in the numbers...
Kat

Post a Comment